[What Is It?] [Join Exit 75] [Archives]

[Exit 75] Ticket horrors

From: "Alice D'Amore" <adamore@purdue.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:14:31 -0500
Subject: [Exit 75] Ticket horrors
To: exit75@torithoughts.org

You'd think that after years of enduring this, that Tori would intervene and
do something differently (though I'm sure most of you will argue that her
publication company handles everything. I don't believe that for a second. The
woman is an incredible businesswoman with a strong handle on everything
concerned with her career). With 1000s of rabid fans, playing one small
theater in a HUGE city...is nuts. It generates incredibly high ticket costs
and scalper frenzies. At the Riverside several rows/pews were reserved for
record company employees. I remember waiting outside 21 hours for tickets to
the Filmore in 98 (I was much younger then and it was my first show. I got to
see a fat Steve Miller run frantically from a guy who wanted his album signed.
That was amusing.). Ever since the horrible Riverside Church incident, where
the ushering into the theater was a complete mess (on top of the poor ticket
selling issue--I spent 350 dollars buying another fan's ticket and the day
before the show, a bunch of first floor pew seats were put up for sale--in my
13 show experience, security has always been abrasive...how many shows has she
stopped to tell security to "leave the kids alone"?), I've only chosen to opt
for seated shows (and a friend was able to get us good tickets to the Chicago
show because I'm guessing the midwest fanbase is much less). I guess when
you're "so big" there's little time for much else other than to show up for
the show, do your promotions. It's just such a different world going to Tori
shows than to Ben Folds, Aimee Mann, Suzanne Vega shows, where the performers
are much more down to earth and accessible. Maybe I'm just jaded. But to me
part of the allure of being at a performance is interaction with the
performer...and Ben, Aimee, and Suzanne have offered me the best experiences
of such. But you can't please everyone, and I guess I'm one of the "unpleased."

Alice
--
Alice D'Amore
PhD student in Postcolonial Literatures, Women's Studies