[What Is It?] [Join Exit 75] [Archives]

Re: [Exit 75] San Francisco

From: "Kevin Hawkins" <kevin_hawkins@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:22:17 -0600
Subject: Re: [Exit 75] San Francisco
To: exit75@torithoughts.org

Violet wrote:
Well, today's public on-sale was ... something.  Not sure what, but
something.  I think the word I'm looking for is "crap."

At least I got tickets.  Not super-great tickets, but tickets nonetheless.
Hope the rest of you did okay at your sales.

I'm happy with the tickets I got...mostly because I'm happy with
getting tickets at all. But also because there's not a bad seat in
Davies.

A lot of this is due to scalpers and insiders, it's true. But you
also have to realize that this is an incredibly small venue for Tori's level
of popularity, and as such is not a new paradigm.

I remember the first Tori show I went to. It was at the very beginning
of the Under the Pink tour, and she was playing a handful of shows
across the country in the types of intimate venues she played on the
Little Earthquakes tour (probably bigger, actually). The theatre
in Chicago was less than 1500 seats. There was no online TicketMaster
in those days; I was second in line at my outlet, and got 3/4 of the
way back. The person behind me didn't get tickets. The whole thing
went in under 5 minutes.

I'm truly sorry for those of you who didn't get tickets. I was thinking
about it just this morning, and it's very frustrating to me, because
there *is* something Tori could do about this: establish a fan club with
paying dues, and control some percentage of the ticket sales through
the fan club, with a random lottery for choosing tickets for those who
sign up for them. This is an established, successful practice with many
artists and bands, and I can't for the life of me figure out why she
hasn't done this.

Take this leg of the tour, for example. One could easily assess from
fan club member demographics that a show like this could sell out to
the fan club alone. So hold the tickets for the fans. Sure, it's still
going to sell out fast, but you know that the tickets are going to
people who have invested enough of their time and energy into Tori
to be members of her fan club, who truly care about her music.
Scalping is kept to a minimum, the show sells out, and you get a house
full of true fans, to complete the circle of intimacy for the show.
Everyone wins.

I think it's a disservice to her fans not to do this. But hey, it's her
music, her career, and as such it's her choice. Personally, I don't like
scalpers, and hate to see honest fans having to pay their rates, just
so they can make a buck off of Tori's coattails. If it were me, I would
do something about it.

Kevin